Sign In Forgot Password

Our Relationship with Uhříněves

Since 1999 a rich relationship has developed between FRS and the townspeople of Uhříněves and there have been many successful cultural exchanges.

In October 2000 a memorial was erected on the outside of the former synagogue building. In November 2001 the Uhříněves children’s choir, Jiskricka Choir, came to Finchley for a series of performances of Brundibar “Bumble Bee”, the children’s operetta by Frans Krasa.

In 2002 the town put on a concert and prepared a display about the Jewish community to commemorate the 60th anniversary of the deportation of the Jewish community to Terezin in September 1942.

In September 2012 a group of FRS members travelled to Uhříněves to mark the 70th anniversary of the deportation.

Rabbi Howard Cooper leading a 70th anniversary memorial service In the Uhrineves  Jewish Cemetery on 12 September 2012  


Uhříněves is a small town approximately 15 miles south east of Prague. Jews have lived in the area of the town since the 16th century. The oldest stone in the cemetery is dated 1719. The synagogue building is from the mid 19th century. The Uhříněves community originally owned 7 scrolls. The community had a full time Rabbi, and a small school operated for a short period. The Jewish Community ceased to exist on 12th September 1942 (cruelly, the 1st Day of Rosh Hashanah) when the majority of the 392 Jews were deported to Terezin. There were only a handful of survivors.

Today there are just 2 or 3 Jews living in Uhříněves. The synagogue building belongs to the Prague Jewish Community but it is let to a commercial firm as a showroom.

Uhříněves Synagogue Exterior

Tue, 16 April 2024 8 Nisan 5784